U4d1-64 – need to know spss – what is a null hypothesis and an
U4D1 – Applying Hypothesis Testing
For this discussion, answer the following questions:
• What is a null hypothesis?
• What is an alternative hypothesis?
Then articulate a null hypothesis and alternative hypothesis for a research study that pertains to your area of specialization.
• What conclusions can be drawn from this study with a “statistically significant” result?
To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
1. Analyze case studies of Type I and Type II errors.
2. Analyze case studies of null hypothesis testing.
Unit 4 Study 1 – Readings
Use your Warner text, Applied Statistics: From Bivariate Through Multivariate Techniques , to complete
• Read Chapter 3, “Statistical Significance Testing,” pages 81–124. This reading addresses the following topics:
◦ The logic of null hypothesis testing.
◦ Type I and Type II errors.
◦ The z test.
◦ Null hypothesis and alternative hypothesis.
◦ Limiting Type I error.
◦ Effect size.
◦ Statistical power.